Saturday, March 14, 2009

My first trip alone to the big city!!!


I would like to share my experience of my trip alone to the big city of Thessaloniki.
My friend Irina invited me to a day out with her in Thessaloniki where she attends university.

I jumped at the chance to have some female company, then I realized I would have to make my own way there.
I was quite nervous about going alone as i had not tried the buses on my own and they are a bit of a challenge as I speak no Greek.

Irina gave me the numbers of the buses I would have to catch and the names of the places to get off.
So off I went with butterflies in my stomach to catch my first bus the No.72 to Ikea.I had bought my bus tickets at the kiosk the day before,They are only 50 cents each and you can use them up to four times on any bus to go anywhere within 70 minutes which is great. Anyway I only had to clip my ticket in the machine on the bus instead of trying to balance and put money in another for a ticket whilst the bus bounces all over the place.
After about 15mins I arrived at Ikea then I wandered around until I found the No.2. I jumped on and clipped my ticket again so it only cost me 50 cents to get to Thessaloniki "bargain."
Irina said I would be on this bus for about 30mins then I should look out for the stop "Sintrivani" and she would meet me there.
Well I was on tender hooks the whole journey and after I had been traveling for about 20mins.
I kept my eye my on the display panel which displays each stop as it goes along waiting for the name of my stop to appear Finally I arrived at "Sintrivani" and my friend was waiting.


We hugged and I must say I was relieved to be off the bus, After my tour of Irina's university we set off into the town and looked round all the shops, I did not realize there was so much too see I even found a Marks and spencers.
The shops were great ranging from markets, Department stores to little exclusive shops.

I really learnt a lot about what is really out there for us to enjoy and explore and not too far away either, Finally we settled on the seafront for coffee and Irina pointed across the sea to where I live in Perea and I thought hey this is not so bad.


The bus ride home was a lot more relaxed and I finally arrived back in Perea about 7 oclock so I nipped into the bakery and picked up some bread and got home to I think a somewhat relieved husband.
Oh and the round trip on the bus cost just 1 euro.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Deb, yu are offiially a local!!!! sounds like you had a wonderful day out, and see most things aren't as scary as they first seem !! xxxx Ginny xx

    ReplyDelete